HeartCode® ACLS Part 1 is a Web-based, self-paced instructional program that uses eSimulation technology to allow students to assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. In this environment, students apply their knowledge to real-time decision making and skills development. Debriefings and coaching are provided immediately after each simulation to facilitate learning. After completing the cognitive portion of the course, students practice and test their skills with an AHA Instructor or on a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system. Upon successful completion of the cognitive and skills tests, students receive a course completion card.
This program presents 10 interactive hospital-based cases to teach ACLS knowledge, building on the foundation of lifesaving BLS for Healthcare Providers skills and the importance of continuous, high-quality CPR.
Audience: HeartCode ACLS Part 1 is for healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest and other cardiovascular emergencies, specifically those seeking an alternative (nonclassroom) method for completing an initial or update ACLS Course.
HeartCode ACLS Part 1 requires prior knowledge that will be applied in using the ACLS treatment algorithms. Unprepared or inexperienced students may require additional time to complete HeartCode ACLS Part 1. To be successful in any ACLS course, students should be able to identify ECG rhythms and should know pharmacology specific to cardiopulmonary arrest and other cardiopulmonary emergencies before beginning the course. It is strongly recommended that students review the ACLS course materials contained within the program and complete the Precourse Self-Assessment prior to attempting the patient cases.
• Key changes in advanced cardiovascular life support, reflecting the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
• Ten adult patient cases with up to four healthcare providers, presented through eSimulation technology:
– One BLS case
– Seven cases representing cardiovascular, respiratory and stroke emergencies
– Two Megacodes
• Recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
• Recognition and early management of periarrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
• Airway management
• Related pharmacology
• Management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) and stroke
• Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
Course Completion Card:
AHA ACLS course completion card, valid for two years.
To receive an ACLS course completion card using this program, students successfully must complete three parts:
• HeartCode ACLS Part 1. Upon successful completion of the online portion, including the written exam, students receive a Part 1 certificate of completion, which must be presented for parts 2 and 3.
• Part 2*, a hands-on skills practice session with an AHA ACLS Instructor or using a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system
• Part 3**, a skills test with an AHA ACLS Instructor or using a VAM system
*Parts 2 and 3 should be completed in one “skills practice and testing” session.
**The skills practice and skills testing session is sold separately.